Sunday, April 17, 2011

Media Impact

           I have to be honest, being born in 1993 when computers were already being used in the household since I was aware of them and could remember...media influence, aside from the obvious things, have been something that I never knew about. Only recently did I know that things so simple, such as comic books, had an engaging story about how they influenced little kids and teenagers to believe they were real...or at least the violence in them. I can't state something as good as that because it wouldn't be of my experience.

         I've been watching a bunch happenings in the news a few months ago about homosexual youth commiting suicide because of the unfair and unjust treatment they recieve from their peers...both in person, through texts, and even on Facebook, Myspace and the like. I was completley devistated about this. Heartbroken to say the least because it was like they were driven to a corner and no place was safe for them. Not outside, not in their home, not online. So they just gave up.

 I NEVER KNEW THAT MEDIA USED BY YOUR PEERS, YOUR PRE-PUBESCENT TO ADOLESCENT PEERS, COULD FORCE YOU TO TAKE YOUR LIFE IN A DESPERATE ATTEMPT OF FREEDOM FROM HARASMENT.

        The people who said "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words would never hurt me." never lived in a world where words can be sent to your phone wherever you are and could be posted online for everyone to read for a lifetime.



Now many people , celebrities and non-celebs, have come together and from The Trevor Project - It gets better. They use media such as youtube and television to spread the word to LGBTQ youth that...as the name says, it DOES get better.

1 comment:

  1. This is an example of good and bad media influence. Social media can make middle/high school bullying much worse, but YouTube and other social media also help spread positive messages such as the Trevor Project.

    ReplyDelete